21 selections found.
The Palace and the Gardens This is the Palace of St. Michael and St. George, the oldest structure of English Domination. It is combined with the lavishly green gardens, known also as the “Garden of people”. The Palace operates as the Museum of Asian Art, whose collection began to gather in 1927, with the primary contribution of Gregory Manos with 10,500 pieces. The Museum hosts 4 permanent collections, which elaborately and with digital media appoint the greatness of Sino-Japanese art. On the other hand, there is a Hall on the back side of the Palace and just next to the Garden, which hosts the Municipal Gallery of Corfu. Launched in 1978, it acquired its own halls and enriched its collections with donations from around the world in 1995. Elaborate and impressive paintings adorn the walls of the exhibition space, while many of the halls accommodate transient collections with exhibits from artists worldwide. Both are surely worth-visiting, since they complement marvelously to each other. Having visited the venues, just wander around the gardens and enjoy a panoramic view towards the Old Fortress, the Ionian Sea and the Vidos Island.
Church of Saint Spyridon The patron Saint of the Island The Church of Saint Spyridon, who is considered the patron Saint of the Island, is significantly the most reputable church all over Corfu. It was built initially in San Rocco square. However, in 1590 it was moved to its present location, namely in the center of the Old Town. This historically extraordinary place of the city is being complemented by the church’s meticulous Venetian architecture. Its most remarkable feature constitutes the bell tower with a red dome. Beyond the red dome, the bell town greatly resembles to the bell tower of the Greek Church St. Giorgio’s Del Greci in Venice. Famous litanies After the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the remains of Saint Spyridon were brought to Corfu and they are kept behind the Alter until nowadays. 4 times per year and on specific dates (Palm Sunday, Good Friday, August 11th, first Sunday of November), they get carried around the Corfiot streets. It is a celebration which symbolizes Saint Spyridon’s miracles.
Kaiser’s Throne Kaiser’s Throne constitutes an interesting place all over Corfu, since it hides its own history, from which it took its name. It is situated on the highest top of verdant Pelekas, only 12 kilometers away from the capital. In 1907, the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II purchases “Achilleion Palace” to spend his summer vacation in Corfu. He was visiting occasionally the region of “Pelekas”, just to admire the dreamy sunset at the spot known today as Kaiser’s Throne. Nowadays, the spot has been altered for you own safety, providing thus repose and relaxation. The only feature that cannot be altered is this beautiful sunset. Kaiser’s Throne pledges to offer an amazing, panoramic view towards the whole island.
Pontikonisi Island A sacred rock The Pontikonisi Island is a lush and full of trees rock, which is located opposite the Kanoni area and the international airport of Corfu "Ioannis Kapodistrias". It was named after the fact, that it resembles a mouse while seeing from above. It is a sacred place, since a small Byzantine church, the well-known temple of Saint Pantokrator, is to be found. The only date when you can visit it is the 6th of August, known as the “Transfiguration of Jesus”. Place of attraction of visitors It is one of the most popular and touristic sights all over Corfu, since every year it appeals to visitors either for praying on the 6th of August, or for admiring its lavishly green landscape. Regular itineraries are being conducted from the Kanoni and the Perama area as well as from the Church of St. Mary of Blachernae. Undoubtedly the Island has been a source of inspiration for the creator of the painting "The island of the dead".
Old Town Corfu City, known also as the “Old Town”, constitutes by its own one of the most beautiful landmarks all over the island. The Old Town is fully protected by UNESCO, since it depicts the florid Venetian architecture in a combination with French and English cultural elements. Traditional narrow lanes, covered by stones and known as “Kantounia”, picturesque dwellings as well as architectural monuments bejewel this marvellous town, which brings about a nostalgic sensation of old times. Taking a look inside Throughout the city, small churches, dedicated each one to a different Saint, adore the Old Town with their different architecture styles and the grandiose bell towers. The most important one is the church of Saint Spyridon, who is the patron Saint of the Island. Old Town possesses the finest monuments dating back to different historical times and rejuvenating the everyday life of the aristocracy and the noble ones. The oldest and most rumored neighborhood is called “Campielo”, which means in Venetian “a typical, little square”. Its narrow lanes and its medieval designs constitute the most admiring and worth-visiting places of the city.
Achilleion In the wider region of the village “Gastouri” and just 10 kilometres southwest of the capital lies the Palace and Museum of "Achilles". The Palace is enclosed by triumphant landscape, which teems with verdant cypresses and exotic flowers. Both the Palace itself and the enchanting garden probably constituted the reason why Empress Elizabeth of Austria was staying there for her vacation. A story full of myth The Achilleion, behind its imposing exterior, hides a fascinating story of myths combined with reality, while it remains the link between Corfu and Austro-Hungarian culture, thanks to Princess Sissy. She rebuilt the Palace in honour of Achilles, to whom she showed admirable deference, but also to relieve herself of the pain due to the loss of her child. The Palace The garden with the rich vegetation and the famous statue of “dying Achilles” masterly complements the spectacular facade of the Palace. In front of the entrance, a line of statues, which depict figures of Greek mythology, adores the Palace. Inside, relics and personal items of Elizabeth and the previous residents decorate decently every corner of the Museum.