{MESSAGE}
{MESSAGE}
Confirm
Cancel

Monastery of Paleokastritsa

Description

Monastery of Paleokastritsa

Monastery's history

The male monastery of Paleokastritsa was founded in 1225, although the building resembles the architecture in the Ottoman era. The first buildings appear to have been part of an older fortification in the Castle, from which the name "Paleokastritsa " derived. It was destroyed by the Genoese in 1403. It was rebuilt in 1469 and destroyed again in 1537 by the Turks. The 1572 was rebuilt and kept up to date with several additions and repairs.The occasion for the building of the monastery was the finding of the sacred icon of the most Holy Theotokos.

The 19th century intrigued the British Commissioners of the island, who opened the road for access to Paleokastritsa. Inclusive Byzantine Museum The monastery has a small museum with post-Byzantine icons and a collection of sacred vestments, holy books, as well as religious relics and utensils. The monastery celebrates on the 15th of August, the date when Virgin Mary was diseased. Paleokastritsa monastery is located 25 kilometers northwest of the city of Corfu and it is built in a location with a splendid view, on the right side of the Bay of Paleokastritsa. It is an appealing touristic destination thanks to its incomparable surrounding natural beauty.

Other Places

CORFU WEATHER