10 selections found.
Monastery of Paleokastritsa Monastery's history The male monastery of Paleokastritsa was founded in 1225, although the building resembles the architecture in the Ottoman era. The first buildings appear to have been part of an older fortification in the Castle, from which the name "Paleokastritsa " derived. It was destroyed by the Genoese in 1403. It was rebuilt in 1469 and destroyed again in 1537 by the Turks. The 1572 was rebuilt and kept up to date with several additions and repairs.The occasion for the building of the monastery was the finding of the sacred icon of the most Holy Theotokos. The 19th century intrigued the British Commissioners of the island, who opened the road for access to Paleokastritsa. Inclusive Byzantine Museum The monastery has a small museum with post-Byzantine icons and a collection of sacred vestments, holy books, as well as religious relics and utensils. The monastery celebrates on the 15th of August, the date when Virgin Mary was deceased. Paleokastritsa monastery is located 25 kilometers northwest of the city of Corfu and it is built in a location with a splendid view, on the right side of the Bay of Paleokastritsa. It is an appealing touristic destination thanks to its incomparable surrounding natural beauty.
"Lazareto" Island "Lazareto" Island, known before as “Saint Dimitrios”, is an island located two nautical miles northeast from Corfu. Its name derived from the fact that, this island was devoted to “Virgin Mary of Nazareth” and as a consequence from the meaning of “Lazareto”, since it was functioning as a quarantine station. During the 16th century and thus the Venetian rule, a monastery was built as well as the islet constituted a house for people with Ieprosy. "Lazareto" during recent times During World War II, the “Lazareto Island” was operating as a concentration camp for the prisoners of the Greek National Resistance movement. Today, “Lazareto” is an uninhabited islet and therefore a place for praying for the people who died during the Civil War in 1949. The municipal authorities have undertaken to organize memorials in honor of the victims in the first 15 days of October.
Music Pavilion The most famous square of Corfu is well-known as “Spianada Square” or “Esplanade”. By being the largest one over the Balkan peninsula, it attracts every day both locals and tourists thanks to its wide green area, appropriate for walking and performing activities, as well as its surrounding majestic landscape. Just on its center, the “Music Pavilion” distinguishes with its florid architecture and its imposing location. Festivals and celebrations In the tree-shaded park and just before the Music Pavilion, festivals and musical events are being organised. Those festivals are being conducted by excellent performers such as local and traditional musicians as well as the notable philharmonic bands. During the Easter and in particular on Holy Saturday, a religious fest with praises performed by the philharmonic orchestras is taking place. Other musical or theatrical events are under the organisation of local clubs and private initiatives.
The Palace and the Gardens This is the Palace of St. Michael and St. George, the oldest structure of English Domination. It is combined with the lavishly green gardens, known also as the “Garden of people”. The Palace operates as the Museum of Asian Art, whose collection began to gather in 1927, with the primary contribution of Gregory Manos with 10,500 pieces. The Museum hosts 4 permanent collections, which elaborately and with digital media appoint the greatness of Sino-Japanese art. On the other hand, there is a Hall on the back side of the Palace and just next to the Garden, which hosts the Municipal Gallery of Corfu. Launched in 1978, it acquired its own halls and enriched its collections with donations from around the world in 1995. Elaborate and impressive paintings adorn the walls of the exhibition space, while many of the halls accommodate transient collections with exhibits from artists worldwide. Both are surely worth-visiting, since they complement marvelously to each other. Having visited the venues, just wander around the gardens and enjoy a panoramic view towards the Old Fortress, the Ionian Sea and the Vidos Island.
Church of Saint Spyridon The patron Saint of the Island The Church of Saint Spyridon, who is considered the patron Saint of the Island, is significantly the most reputable church all over Corfu. It was built initially in San Rocco square. However, in 1590 it was moved to its present location, namely in the center of the Old Town. This historically extraordinary place of the city is being complemented by the church’s meticulous Venetian architecture. Its most remarkable feature constitutes the bell tower with a red dome. Beyond the red dome, the bell town greatly resembles to the bell tower of the Greek Church St. Giorgio’s Del Greci in Venice. Famous litanies After the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the remains of Saint Spyridon were brought to Corfu and they are kept behind the Alter until nowadays. 4 times per year and on specific dates (Palm Sunday, Good Friday, August 11th, first Sunday of November), they get carried around the Corfiot streets. It is a celebration which symbolizes Saint Spyridon’s miracles.
Kaiser’s Throne Kaiser’s Throne constitutes an interesting place all over Corfu, since it hides its own history, from which it took its name. It is situated on the highest top of verdant Pelekas, only 12 kilometers away from the capital. In 1907, the German Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II purchases “Achilleion Palace” to spend his summer vacation in Corfu. He was visiting occasionally the region of “Pelekas”, just to admire the dreamy sunset at the spot known today as Kaiser’s Throne. Nowadays, the spot has been altered for you own safety, providing thus repose and relaxation. The only feature that cannot be altered is this beautiful sunset. Kaiser’s Throne pledges to offer an amazing, panoramic view towards the whole island.